DOUGLAS FRANZ DYCKES
Department of Chemistry
University of Colorado at Denver
Phone: (303) 556-3204
Fax: (303) 556-4776
|Ph.D. (Chemistry) 1970||Case Western Reserve University|
|Graduate Studies 1963-64|| Brandeis University,
Department of the History of Ideas.
|B. A. (History) 1963||Yale University|
|1990- Present||Professor of Chemistry, University of Colorado at Denver|
|Chair of Chemistry, University of Colorado at Denver|
|2003-2004||Research Fellow (Sabbatical Position), National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO|
|1989-90||Visiting Professor, Trenton State College|
|1988-90||Professor of Chemistry, University of Houston|
|1981||Visiting Research Scientist, Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, England. Associate Professor of Chemistry, University of Houston|
|1974-80||Assistant Professor of Chemistry, University of Houston. Research Scientist, Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, England. Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Cornell University|
|1966-67||Science Teacher, Hamden High School, Hamden CT|
|1964-66||U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer (Nigeria)|
|AWARDS AND HONORS:|
|New Jersey Governor's Challenge to Distinction Grant|
|1989||President, Phi Kappa Phi, University of Houston Chapter|
|1986||University Teaching Excellence Award, University of Houston|
|University of Houston Nominee for the Minnie Stevens Piper (State-wide) Award for Teaching Excellence.|
|NASA Graduate Research Fellowship|
|1963||Dean's List, Yale University|
49. Rentsenmyadag, D.; Dyckes D.F., Synthesis and spontaneous cyclization of dimethyl 1,4-diamino-1,4-cyclohexane dicarboxylate. Chemistry and Chemical Technology, National University of Mongolia (2006), 6, 97-103.
48. Wilson, C.R.; Rentsenmyadag, D.; Dyckes, D.F., Investigation of the formyl protecting group for 1,4-diamino-1,4-cyclohexane dicarboxylic acid. Chemistry and Chemical Technology, National University of Mongolia (2006), 6, 90-96.
47. Rentsenmyadag, D.; Wilson, C.R.; Allen, S.; Dyckes, D.F., Synthesis and characterization of 1,4-diamino-1,4-cyclohexane dicarboxylic acid. Chemistry and Chemical Technology, National University of Mongolia (2006), 6, 82-89.
46. Wilson, C.R.; Rentsenmyadag, D.; Dyckes, D.F., Synthesis and characterization of 1,4-diamino-1,4-dicyanocyclohexane. Chemistry and Chemical Technology, National University of Mongolia (2006), 6, 75-81.
45. Zimmer Jennifer S Dickinson; Dyckes Douglas F; Bernlohr David A; Murphy Robert C Fatty acid binding proteins stabilize leukotriene A4: competition with arachidonic acid but not other lipoxygenase products. Journal of lipid research (2004), 45(11), 2138-44.
44. Leimer, A. H.; Kroona, H. B.; Blodgett, J. K.; Whalley, E. T.; Ross, S. E.; Burkard, M. R.; Zuzack, J. S.; Gernert, D. L.; Dyckes, D. F.. In vitro studies of a bradykinin B1/B2 antagonist linked to a human neutrophil elastase inhibitor; a heterodimer for the treatment of inflammatory disorders. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology (1997), 75(6), 633-638.
43. Kimbrough, Doris R.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Mlady, Gary W. Teaching science and public policy through role playing. Journal of Chemical Education (1995), 72(4), 295-6.
42. Obeyesekere, Nihal U.; La Croix, Jean Noel; Budde, Raymond J. A.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; McMurray, John S. Solid-phase synthesis of (tyrosyl-alanyl-glutamyl)n by segment condensation. International Journal of Peptide & Protein Research (1994), 43(2), 118-26.
41. McMurray, John S.; Budde, Raymond J. A.; Dyckes, Douglas F. Cyclic peptide substrates of pp60c-src: synthesis and evaluation. International Journal of Peptide & Protein Research (1993), 42(3), 209-15.
40. Suwanrumpha, Somchai; McLean, Matthew A.; Fink, Saul W.; Wilder, Cheryl; Stachowiak, Kristina; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Freas, Royal B. Determination of biomolecules by using liquid chromatography and thermospray mass spectrometry: from penicillins to peptides. NATO ASI Series, Series C: Mathematical and Physical Sciences (1992), 353(Mass Spectrom. Biol. Sci.: Tutorial), 281-301.
39. Stachowiak, Krystyna; Otlewski, Jacek; Polanowski, Antoni; Dyckes, Douglas F. Monitoring protein cleavage and concurrent disulfide bond assignment using thermospray LC/MS. Peptide Research (1990), 3(3), 148-54.
38. Martz P.R.; Heffron, M.; Kalbag, S.; Dyckes, D.F.; Voelker P., The PepPro peptide synthesis system. Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence, H.Schorr and A. Rappaport, eds., AAAI Press/The MIT Press, Menlo Park, CA (1989), 81-92.
37. Stachowiak, Krystyna; Dyckes, Douglas F. Peptide mapping using thermospray LC/MS detection: rapid identification of hemoglobin variants. Peptide Research (1989), 2(4), 267-74.
36. Stachowiak K.; Dyckes, D.F.; Vestal, M.L. Peptide and protein sequencing by thermospray LC-MS. The Analysis of Peptides and Proteins by Mass Spectrometry, C.J. McNeal, ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY (1988), 167-178.
35. Stachowiak, Krystyna; Wilder, Cheryl; Vestal, Marvin L.; Dyckes, Douglas F.. Rapid protein sequencing by the enzyme-thermospray liquid chromatographic/mass spectrometric method. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1988), 110(6), 1758-65.
34. Ganeshan, Kanjana; Perlman, Michael O.; Perlman, Janet M.; Adamo, Martin L.; Hazelwood, Robert L.; Dyckes, Douglas F. Recognition of neuropeptides FMRFamide and LPLRFamide by chicken cerebellum avian pancreatic polypeptide binding sites. Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine (1987), 185(4), 409-12.
33. Perlman, Michael O.; Perlman, Janet M.; Adamo, Martin L.; Hazelwood, Robert L.; Dyckes, Douglas F.. Binding of C-terminal segments of neuropeptide Y to chicken brain. International Journal of Peptide & Protein Research (1987), 30(2), 153-62.
32. McMurray, John S.; Dyckes, Douglas F. Evidence for hemiketals as intermediates in the inactivation of serine proteinases with halomethyl ketones. Biochemistry (1986), 25(8), 2298-301.
31. McMurray, John S.; Dyckes, Douglas F. A simple and convenient method for the preparation of ketomethylene peptide analogs. Journal of Organic Chemistry (1985), 50(7), 1112-15.
30. Kim, H. Y.; Pilosof, D.; Dyckes, D. F.; Vestal, M. L. On-line peptide sequencing by enzymic hydrolysis, high performance liquid chromatography, and thermospray mass spectrometry. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1984), 106(24), 7304-9.
29. Pilosof, David; Kim, Hee Yong; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Vestal, Marvin L. Determination of nonderivatized peptides by thermospray liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry (1984), 56(8), 1236-40.
28. Pilosof, David; Kim, Hee Yong; Vestal, Marvin L.; Dyckes, Douglas F.. Direct monitoring of sequential enzymic hydrolysis of peptides by thermospray mass spectrometry. Biomedical Mass Spectrometry (1984), 11(8), 403-7.
27. Kim, Hee Yong; Pilosof, David; Vestal, Marvin L.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Kitchell, Judith P.; Dvorin, Elena. Amino acid sequence of polypeptides by enzymic hydrolysis and direct detection using a thermospray LC/MS. Pept.: Struct. Funct., Proc. Am. Pept. Symp., 8th (1983), 719-22.
26. Adamo, Martin L.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Hazelwood, Robert L. In vitro binding and degradation of avian pancreatic polypeptide by chicken and rat tissues. Endocrinology (1983), 113(2), 508-16.
25. Kitchell, J. P.; Dyckes, D. F. A synthetic 13-residue peptide designed to resemble the primary binding site of the basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Protein Structure and Molecular Enzymology (1982), 701(1), 149-52.
24. Taylor, Ulrike F.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Cox, James R., Jr. Decomposition of amino acid copper complexes using thioacetamide. International Journal of Peptide & Protein Research (1982), 19(2), 158-61.
23. Bradford, Marion M.; Dudkiewicz, Alan B.; Penny, Glenn S.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Burleigh, B. Daniel; Wooley, Richard E.; McRorie, Robert A. Localization of proacrosin on the inner acrosomal membrane of spermatozoa in rabbits and hamsters. American Journal of Veterinary Research (1981), 42(6), 1082-3.
22. Creighton, Thomas E.; Dyckes, Douglas F. Refolding of S-methylmethionyl basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. Journal of Molecular Biology (1981), 146(3), 375-87.
21. Penny, Glenn S.; Dyckes, Douglas F. Interaction of dansylated peptidyl chloromethanes with trypsin, chymotrypsin, elastase, and thrombin. Biochemistry (1980), 19(13), 2888-94.
20. Harina, Benjamin M.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Willcott, M. Robert, III; Jones, Warren C., Jr. Denaturation studies by carbon-13 nuclear magnetic resonance on modified basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor using the novel S-[13C]methyl methionyl probe. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1980), 102(3), 1120-4.
19. Harina, B. M.; Dyckes, D. F.; Willcott, M. R., III; Jones, W. C., Jr. Denaturation studies on C-13 labeled basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor (BPTI) by C-13 nuclear magnetic resonance (CMR). Pept., Struct. Biol. Funct., Proc. Am. Pept. Symp., 6th (1979), 177-80.
18. Penny, Glenn S.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Burleigh, B. Daniel. Synthesis, characterization and fluorescence studies on N-a-dansylalanyllysyl trypsino (His-46)-methane. International Journal of Peptide & Protein Research (1979), 13(1), 95-101.
17. Kanellis, Panayiotis; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Hazelwood, Robert L. Synthesis and biological effect of the C-terminal pentapeptide amide of avian pancreatic hormone III (APP). International Journal of Peptide & Protein Research (1979), 13(2), 201-6.
16. Harina, Benjamin M.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; Willcott, M. Robert, III; Jones, Warren C., Jr. Carbon-13-enriched S-methylmethionyl residues as a probe of protein conformation. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1978), 100(15), 4897-9.
15. Creighton, T. E.; Dyckes, D. F.; Sheppard, R. C. Refolding of bovine pancreatic trypsin inhibitor modified at methionine-52. Journal of Molecular Biology (1978), 119(4), 507-18.
14. Dyckes, D. F.; Creighton, T. E.; Sheppard, R. C. [52-Homoserine]-basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. Preparation and properties of a protein analog. International Journal of Peptide & Protein Research (1978), 11(4), 258-68.
13. Dyckes, D. F.; Kini, H.; Sheppard, R. C. Studies on the partial synthesis of protein analogs by direct coupling to terminal homoserine lactone derivatives. Experiments with basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. International Journal of Peptide & Protein Research (1977), 9(5), 340-8.
12. Dyckes, D. F.; Sheppard, R. C. Partial synthesis of proteins - experiments using pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. Pept.: Chem., Struct. Biol., Proc. Am. Pept. Symp., 4th (1975), 515-21.
11. Dyckes, Douglas F.; Smith, Clark W.; Ferger, Martha F.; duVigneaud, Vincent. Synthesis and some pharmacological properties of [1-a-mercaptoacetic acid]-8-lysine-vasopressin and [1-g-mercaptobutyric acid]-8-lysine-vasopressin. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1974), 96(24), 7549-51.
10. Dyckes, D. F.; Creighton, T.; Sheppard, R. C. Spontaneous reformation of a broken peptide chain. Nature (London) (1974), 247(5438), 202-4.
9. Dyckes, Douglas F.; Nestor, John J., Jr.; Ferger, Martha F.; duVigneaud, Vincent; Chan, W. Y. [1-b-Mercapto-b,b-diethylpropionic acid, 4-leucine]-8-lysine-vasopressin and [1-b-mercapto-b,b-diethylpropionic acid, 4-leucine]oxytocin, compounds possessing antihormonal properties. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (1974), 17(9), 969-72.
8. Dyckes, Douglas F.; Nestor, John J., Jr.; Ferger, Martha F.; duVigneaud, Vincent. [1-b-Mercapto-b,b-diethylpropionic acid]-8-lysine-vasopressin, a potent inhibitor of 8-lysine-vasopressin and of oxytocin. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (1974), 17(2), 250-2.
7. Dyckes, Douglas F.; Ferger, Martha F.; duVigneaud, Vincent; Chan, W. Y. Synthesis and some of the pharmacological properties of [4-leucine]-8-lysine-vasopressin and [1-deamino-4-leucine]-8-lysine-vasopressin. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (1973), 16(7), 843-7.
6. Von Dreele, P. H.; Scheraga, H. A.; Dyckes, D. F.; Ferger, M. F.; Du Vigneaud, V. Nuclear magnetic resonance spectrum of deamino-lysine-vasopressin in aqueous solution and its structural implications. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (1972), 69(11), 3322-6.
5. Ferger, Martha F.; Jones, Warren C., Jr.; Dyckes, Douglas F.; duVigneaud, Vincent. Four cyclic disulfide pentapeptides possessing the ring of vasopressin. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1972), 94(3), 982-4.
4. Dyckes, Douglas F.; Bodanszky, Miklos. Concanavalin A. Sequence of the C-terminal nonapeptide and of a heptapeptide. International Journal of Protein Research (1972), 4(1), 29-35.
3. Bodanszky, M.; Dyckes, D.F., A simple method for the determination of the N-terminal residues of peptides, demonstrated on fragments of concanavalin A. Progress in Peptide Research, Saul Lande, ed., Gordon and Breach, Science Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, (1973), 2, 169-72.
2. Howard, Irmgard K.; Sage, Harvey J.; Stein, Marshall D.; Young, N. Martin; Leon, Myron A.; Dyckes, Douglas F.. Phytohemagglutinin from the lentil. II. Multiple forms of Lens culinaris hemagglutinin. Journal of Biological Chemistry (1971), 246(6),1590-5.
1. Eberson, Lennart; Petrovich, John P.; Baird, R.; Dyckes, D.; Winstein, S. The neighboring anthryl group in solvolysis. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1965), 87(15), 3504-6.
|Novel amino acids for the construction of potential pharmaceuticals and polymers.|
|RESEARCH PROPOSALS PENDING:|
|2007-09||NSF: CCLI Program
Peer Involvement in Laboratory Instruction
(as Co-PI) PI: Professor Susan Schelble, MSCD.
|PAST RESEARCH SUPPORT:|
Cyclization of Diaminoglutaric Acid
|2000-01||University of Colorado at Denver, Instructional Technology
Grant, "Weekend Organic Chemistry" Co-PI;
Doris Kimbrough, PI (Chemistry)
|University of Colorado at Denver Faculty Grant|
|1997-00||"The Synthesis of a New Class of Polymers."
American Association for the Advancement of
Science Teacher Induction Project”
|PI with M. Marlow (School of Education)||$27,400|
|Colorado Commission on Higher Education|
|"CU-Denver Specialist in Residence Project"
Co-PI; W. Juraschek (School of Ed.)
|Colorado State Systemic Initiative, NSF Grant||$500,000|
| "Adams District12 Schools / University of
Colorado at Denver Partnership for Systemic Reform
of Mathematics and Science Education"
PI, with W. Juraschek (UCD) and S. Johnson
(Adams 12 School Dist.)
|1991||SBIR, subcontract from Vestec Corporation
"Protein Analysis by Thermospray MS"
|National Institutes of Health
"Development of Drugs to Inhibit Oncogene-Encoded
Co-PI; Victor Levin, M.D. Anderson Cancer Institute, PI
|1988-91|| National Insitutes of Health,
"Protein Analysis by Thermospray Mass Spectrometry'
|1988-89||National Institutes of Health, subcontract from
Northern California Cooperative Drug Discovery
"Kinase Program" Victor Levin, M.D. Anderson
Cancer Institute, PI
|National Insitutes of Health||$284,353|
|"Protein Sequencing by Thermospray Mass Spectrometry"
PI with Marvin L. Vestal
|1982-85|| The Robert A. Welch Foundation
"Studies on Proteinase Inhibitors"
|1979-83||National Insitutes of Health
"Pancreatic Peptide Structure-Activity Studies"
|1979-80|| NIH: Biomedical Research Support Grant
"A Model Proteinase Inhibitor"
|1976-80|| National Insitutes of Health
"A Protein Inhibitor Model with Clinical Potential"
|1976-79|| National Insitutes of Health
"Protein Conformational Studies by Multinuclear NMR"
PI; with M. Robert Willcott, Co-PI
|1976-79|| The Robert A. Welch Foundation
"A Complementation Model for the Study
of Protein Folding"
|1975|| University of Houston Research Initiation Grant
"A Small Peptide Enzyme Inhibitor"
|Research Corporation Cottrell Grant||$8,500|
|"A Fragment Complementation Model for
UNIVERSITY LEVEL TEACHING
Formal Classes Taught (in order of frequency):
Honors Organic Chemistry *
Honors Organic Chemistry Laboratory *
Advanced Organic Chemistry
Peptide and Protein Chemistry *
Graduate Seminar in Chemistry *
Research Seminar in Peptide Chemistry *
The Organic Chemistry of Biological Molecules *
Bio-organic Reaction Mechanisms *
Science and Ethics * (Freshman Seminar)
Symmetry in Chemistry and Life* (1 SCH Core course)
*Courses that I have designed or modified in a major fashion.
University Teaching Excellence Award, University of Houston, 1986
Ph.D. and M.S. Students
|P. Kanellis||Ph.D., December 1976. "Studies on the Solid Phase Synthesis of the C-terminal Dodecaptide of Basic Pancreatic Trypsin Inhibitor and the C-terminal Pentapeptide Amide of Avian Pancreatic Hormone III."|
|K. Viswanathan||M.S., August 1977. "Solid Phase Synthesis and Selected NMR Studies of Peptides."|
|U. F. Taylor||Ph.D., May 1979. "Synthesis of a Peptide Related to Basic Pancreatic Trypsin Inhibitor and to the Enkephalins."|
|G.S. Penny|| Ph.D., August 1979. "Fluorescent Peptidyl Chloromethane Inhibitors of Serine Proteinases."
|C.M. Li||M.S., August 1979. "A Study of Conformational Isomerism of Proline Derivatives and Prolyl Dipeptides by Carbon-13 Nuclear Magnetic Resonance."|
|J. P. Kitchell||Ph.D., August 1980. "The Synthesis of a Model Trypsin Inhibitor."|
|H. Y. Kim||Ph.D., August 1984. "On-line Peptide Sequencing Using Enzymatic Hydrolysis, High Performance Liquid Chromatography and Thermospray Mass Spectrometry" (co-directed, with Professor M. L. Vestal).|
|M.O. Perlman||Ph.D., August 1985. "The Synthesis and Binding Studies of Fourteen Peptide Analogs of the C-terminal Segments of Avian Pancreatic Polypeptide and Neuropeptide Y."|
|J.S. McMurray||Ph.D., May 1986. "The Synthesis of Ketomethylene Peptide Analogues via a Modified Dakin-West Reaction and the Investigation of the Inhibitory Properties of a Series of Peptide Substituted-Methyl Ketones Toward Serine and Thiol Proteinases."|
|J. M. Perlman||M.S., August 1985. "The Synthesis and Binding Studies of Several Analogs of the C-terminal Segment of NeuropeptideY."|
|P. Bernabeu||M.S., May 1986. "Synthesis and Kinetic Evaluation of a Protease Inhibitor."|
|C. Wilder||M.S. August 1987. "Application of Chymotrypsin, Elastase, S. Aureus Protease, Proline Specific Endopeptidase and Aminopeptidase M to On-line Protein Sequencing with Thermospray Mass Spectrometry."|
|K. Ganeshan||M.S., August 1987. "The Synthesis and Brain Binding Studies of Neurohormonal Peptides and Analogues."|
|J. N. LaCroix||M.S., August 1989. "The Synthesis of Model Protein Kinase Substrates."|
|C. D. Spindler||M.S., August 1990. "Synthesis and Photoaffinity Labelling Studies of a Photolabile Analogue of Avian Pancreatic Polypeptide."|
|P. Charrier||M.S., September, 1991. "Synthesis of Potential Affinity Labelling Inhibitors of Protein Tyrosine Kinases."|
|G. R.R. Santos||M.S. August 1994. “Synthesis of 4’-Bromomethry-111-trifluoroatetophenone, an Intermediat of an Amino Acid Analogue for the Inibition Study of ProteinTyrosine Kinases.”|
|S. Z. Millis*||M.S. June 1995. “Peptide mapping as a Preliminary Step in Analysis of Hydrophobic Proteins.”|
|C. A. Cook*||M.S. December 1995. “Inherently Immunogenic Co-Arrays of Defined Size and Valence Bearing T Cell Epitopes and Haptenic B Cell Epitopes Induce a Switch of the Anti-Hapten Response from IgM to IgG.”|
|D. P. Cherico||M.S. July 1996. “A Model for the Binding of C1 Derivatized Glucose Compounds to Concanavalin A.”|
|A. Leimer*||M.B.S. May 1996. “Bradykinin B1/B2 Antagonist Linked to a Human Neutrophil Elastase Inhibitor; a Heterodimer for the Treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.”|
|D. Walborn*||M.S. December 1997. “Solid Supports for the Presentation of Antigen to B2 Cells.”|
|M-C. Kuo||M.S., May 1999. “Synthesis of a,a’-Diamino-1,4-benzenedicarboxylic Acid Dimethyl Ester.”|
|M. Sumito||M.S. December 1999. “Exploring a New Route to a,a’-Diamino-1,4-benzenediacetic Acid Dimethyl Ester.”|
|C. R. Wilson||M.S. December 1999. “Synthesis of1,4-Diamino-1,4-dicarboxylic Acid.”|
|M. I. Langfur*||M.B.S. December 1999. “A Novel Assay of Serum Ferritin.”|
|S. A. A. Al-Bakri||M.B.S. August 2001. “Synthesis of 1,4-Cyclohexanediglycine, a New Polymerization Monimer.”|
|D. Templeton*||M.S. May 2003. “Analysis of Free Sulfhydryls in the Cellulase Enzyme CBH I Expressed in E. Coli.”|
|N. J. Miller||M.S. August 2003. “Exploration of a New Synthetic Route to 2,4-Diamino Glutaric Acid.”|
|R. Dashzeveg||M.S. December 2003. “Exploration of Pathways for the Synthesis of Dimethyl-1,4-diamino-1,4-cyclohexane Dicarboxylate, a Novel Bis-amino Acid Ester.”|
|J. P. Kirwan*||M.S. December 2003. ‘Recombinant Yersinia pestis YspI Protein Principally Produces N-(3-oxooctanoyl)-L-homoserine Lactone During Quorum Sensing Signal Generation.”|
|S. R. Allen||M.S. December 2004. “A Method for the Determination of the Diastereomeric Composition of 1,4-Diamino-1,4-cyclohexanedicarboxylic Acid.”|
|S. Riaz*||M.S. May 2004. “Raising, Selecting and Purifying Monoclonal Antibodies Specific to Adsorbed Ferritin.”|
|S. Bikkumalla||M.S. May 2005. “Synthesis of Dimethyl-1,4-dihydroxy-1,4-cyclohexanedicarboxylate and Attempts at its Cyclization.”|
|J. M. Kovacks*:||M.S. August 2005. “Determination of Intrinsic Hydrophilicity/ Hydrophobicity Coefficients of Amino Acid Side-Chains Using Synthetic Model Peptides.”|
[* = Students with external research advisors whose committees I chaired.]
|Senior Honors Students:|
|H. Kraus||An Analysis of the Behavioral and Biochemical Effects of Interferon-a.”|
|K. Boyd||December 1999: “Synthesis of Derivatives of Phenylglycine and the Attempt to Separate Enantiomers and Diastereomets.”|
|A. M. English||August 2006. “Study of a Proposed (Simplified) Preparation of Methyl 4-Amino-5-oxopyrrolidine-2-carboxylate, a Cyclic Monomer Designed for Use in Hypercyclic Structures.|
|D. A, Dalton||May 2007: “An Alternate Synthesis of Methry 1-Amino-3-oxo-2aza-bicyclo[2.2.2]octane-1-carboxylic Acid.”|
|P. Kanellis||February 1977 - June 1978.|
|B. M. Harina||July 1977 - August 1980.|
|H. Dvorin||November 1980 - May 1982 (with Professor M.L. Vestal)|
|K. Stachowiak||September 1985 - September 1987 (with Professor M.L. Vestal)
July 1988 - September 1988
|J. Kaczmarek||April 1989 to March 1991|
|J. Conny||January 1991 to October 1991|
|J. H. Meyer||January 2006 to present.|
|Current Research Students|
|R. Dashzeveg, Ph.D. candidate (Mongolia National University)|
|M. Axen (M.S.)|
|J. Marcinkiewicz* (M.S.)|
|D. Linck* (M.S.)|
|C. Chen* (M.S.)|
Over the course of 33 years I have directed approximately 60 undergraduate and high school research students
University of Colorado at Denver:
- Chairman, Department of Chemistry (1990-2001; 2005-present)
- Initial Professional Teacher Education Executive Council (2002-2003)
- Acting Director, Undergraduate Teaching Licensure Program (2002-2003)
- CLAS Dean's Advisory Committee (2001-2003; 2004-2005)
- Chemistry Undergraduate Advisor (50% of majors) (2001-present)
- UCD Academic Director, International Colleges at Beijing (1998- 2001) and at Ulan Baatar (2000-2001).
- Steering Committee, Development of Undergraduate Teacher Education Majors (joint School of Education/CLAS project) 2001
- Colorado Partnership for Education Renewal Team, Institute for Educational Inquiry Regional Leadership Associates Program (2000-2001)
- Undergraduate Minor Advisor, Chemistry (2000-present)
- Chair, Natural and Social Sciences Committee on Laboratory
- External Review Team, Community College of Denver Accreditation (1998)
- Search Committee, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean (1998-99)
- Chair, Department of Chemistry Curriculum Committee
- Chair, Dean’s Ad Hoc Committee on Budget (1997-98)
- Faculty Assembly (1992-96)
- University Budget Priorities Council (1993-96)
- School of Education Dean's Advisory Committee (1994-96)
- Campus Representative, Colorado Alliance for Science (1990 to present).
University of Houston, Major Committees:
- Honors College Committee (1988-89)
- Search Committee, Director of African-American Studies (1987-88,1988-89)
- Ad Hoc Committee to Review the Structure of the Undergraduate Council (1988)
- Ad Hoc Committee on Teaching Evaluations (1987)
- University Six Year Plan Educational Policies Committee (1987)
- Special Academic Committee on Athletics (1986)
- Ad Hoc Committee for a University College (1986-87)
- Undergraduate Council (1982-1987)
- Chair, Academic Standards Committee (1983-84)
- Council Chairman (1985-87)
- Academic Council (1985-87)
- Screening Committee for Selection of the Associate Provost for Academic Programs (1985)
- Interim Associate Director, University Honors Program (1984-85)
- Core Advisory Committee (1982-85)
- Chair, Executive Committee (1982-85)
- Chair, Natural Sciences Subcommittee (1982-84)
- Chair, Core Advisory Committee (1984-85)
- Task Force on Undergraduate Education (1979-81)
- Faculty Senator (1978-1980)
- Committee on Committees (1979)
- Executive Committee (1980)
- Steering Committee, Campus-Community Study (1980)
- Dean's Cross College Committee in a Core Curriculum (1978)
- Ad Hoc Committee on the Development of Biochemistry, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (1978)
- Health Professions Advisory Committee (premedical, 1976-80)
- Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects (1977-78)
University of Houston, Department of Chemistry
- Chairman, Undergraduate Committee (1987-89)
- Personnel Committee (1984-88)
- Organic Division Seminar Chairman (1975-76, 1983-84)
- Chairman, Biochemistry Division (1978-80)
- Alpha Chi Sigma Advisor (1976-80)
- Graduate Committee (1974-79)
- Finance and Planning Committee (1975-76)
Community and Professional Service:
- State Board Colorado Association of Science Teachers (1998-01)
- Board of Advisors, Center for Science, Mathematics, and Technology Education, Colorado State University (1994-98)
- Board of Advisors, Minority Initiative for Denver Schools (1994-98)
- Vice President, Colorado Consortium for Minority and Women's Participation (in math, science and technology) (1992-93)
- Houston Independent School District Planning Committee for the Future of Programs of the Gifted and Talented (1988)
- Texas Association of College Teachers:
State Board (1987-89)
Campus President (1985-88)
- Alternate Counsellor, American Chemical Society, Southeastern Texas Section (1982-85)
- Board Member, University Oaks Civic Club (1977-79)
Referee: Journal of the American Chemical Society
Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
International Journal of Peptide and Protein Research
Journal of Molecular Evolution
National Science Foundation
Petroleum Research Fund
American Chemical Society
AREAS OF EMPASIS