Department of Psychology
of Colorado Denver
Location: 5002J North Classroom
Selected Recent Honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award, UCD College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 2010
Appointment, Professor of Psychiatry, UCDHSC
School of Medicine, 2005
- Award for Excellence in Research, CU-Denver College of
Liberal Arts and Sciences, 2005
- Distinguished Service Award, Rocky Mountain Psychological
- Kuther, T. L. (2003). Promoting positive ethics: An
interview with Mitchell M. Handelsman. Teaching of Psychology,
- President, Rocky
Mountain Psychological Association, 2002-2003
- Fellow, American
Psychological Association, elected 2002
Selected Recent Publications
- Knapp, S. J.
(Ed.-in-Chief), Gottlieb, M. C., Handelsman, M. M., & VandeCreek, L. D.
(Assoc. Eds.). (2012). APA Handbooks in Psychology: APA handbook of
ethics in psychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Komarraju, M., & Handelsman, M. M. (2012). Preparing to teach: Becoming part of an ethical culture. In R. E. Landrum & M. A. McCarthy (Eds.). Teaching ethically: Challenges and opportunities (pp. 191-201). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Rogerson, M. D., Gottlieb, M. C., Handelsman, M. M., Knapp, S., & Younggren, J. (2011). Nonrational processes in ethical decision making. American Psychologist, 66, 614-623.
S. K., & Handelsman, M. M. (2010). Ethics for psychotherapists and
counselors: A proactive approach. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
M. M., Knapp,
S., & Gottlieb, M. C.
(2009). Positive ethics: Themes and variations. In C. R.
Snyder & S. J. Lopez (Eds.).,
Oxford handbook of positive psychology (2nd ed., pp. 105-113). New York: Oxford
Column for Eye on Psi Chi: "Ethics Matters"
Eye on Psi Chi is
the newsletter for the international honor society in psychology. Starting in 2010, I'm writing a regular ethics column:
Humor Column for Eye on Psi Chi
Eye on Psi Chi is
the newsletter for the international honor society in psychology. From
(University of Southern Indiana) and I co-authored a
humor column called "On the Light Side." In spite of popular
demand, we did a couple more in 2008 (called "On the
Lighter Side"). If you need a sleep aid,
here are some of our columns:
- On the Lighter Side: Psych Follies as a Chapter Activity
- On the Lighter Side: Advances in Textbook Publishing
- In the
THICK of Things: A Test of Humor Impairment
Me: A New Web-Based Tool
Committee Confidential" or "Four Sleepy People"--a play, in one illegal
- Letters of
Recommendation: A Guide for Students and Professors
Complexity and Specialization Throughout Development
for a New Edition of the APA Style Manual
Conventions: Some Do's and Some More Don'ts
- Meet Your
- Testing in
the New Millennium: E-mail, Distance Education, and Game Shows
- The Gift
Symbols for Psychologists
News Added to Cable
Gifts to the Psychologist Who Has Everything
Titles for Presentations: Beyond the Colon
- Tips for
Applying for Academic Jobs or Graduate School: Putting Your Best Foot
Forward (or at Least Keeping it Out of Your Mouth)
- And in Conclusion: Tips for Presenting Posters and Papers
- Testing, Testing, Part 2: A Simple Guide to Essay Questions
- Testing, Testing: A, B, C, D, None of the Above